|Questions on Willingness to Prioritize Inclusive, Equitable, People-centered, and Stable Communities|
- What are your plans for supporting local economic stability, particularly for economically divested areas of the city?
- How do you plan to understand the needs of students and families in Chicago and ensure that neighborhood schools have the necessary resources?
- How do you intend to support renters and owners who are at risk of being displaced from their homes and communities?
- What do you plan to do to welcome and support immigrants, communities of color, the elderly, and the LGBTQ community?
- What are your plans for supporting the neighborhood businesses?
- What plans do you have for use of vacant lots?
- How do you define equity?
|Questions Seeking Transparency and Communication of Data and Community Engagement at Large|
- How do you plan to support authentic, meaningful, and transparent community engagement in planning processes?
- What do you see as the importance of community engagement?
- How will you transparently and effectively communicate sustainability efforts to the public?
- How do you plan to activate Chicago communities in building sustainability efforts or resilience planning?
- What specific policies will you enact to increase transparency in City government?
|Questions on Continuity – How will the candidate seek to improve upon or actualize policies, procedures, and initiatives that are currently in place?|
- How will you maintain continuity and continue the evolution of current and proposed sustainability initiatives?
- How do you intend to improve, actualize, and implement sustainability-related policy that is already in place?
- What are your plans for improving coordination and communication across city departments and sister agencies, the county, and the state?
- What are your plans for coordination and communication with the county and the state?
- What are the next steps you will take to improve existing clean energy policies ( e.g. Chicago Renewable Energy Challenge) or collaborations with larger policies such as Illinois Clean Jobs Coalition Energy Initiative?
- What are the most important sustainability policies in Chicago, in your opinion?
- What is a current or past “big” sustainability initiative that has been successful? Why did it work?
- What is your stance on Vision Zero/quality of life plan?
|Questions on Vision|
- Where do you look for inspiration for environmental, equity, or justice-based policies?
- What sustainability-related policies and practices in other cities would you like to bring to Chicago? How would you adapt them to work in Chicago?
- How do you intend to train politicians and government employees in sustainability?
- Do you plan to bring back the Department of Environment to City Hall? Why or Why Not?
- What’s the most recent thing you’ve read or seen that impacted how you see sustainability? What changed?
- What is your role balancing the different social, environmental, and economic sustainability?
- How do you define sustainability?
- What is your understanding of Climate Change and its impact on Chicago?
|Questions on Responsibilities in Public and Private Partnerships|
- How will you ensure that the policies created during your term will benefit Chicago communities, rather than exclusively developers?
- What is your stance on privatization or public-private partnerships?
- How will you hold private businesses accountable to their public-private agreements?
- What are ways you would plan to strengthen and increase access to—as well as sustainability of—public/common space for Chicagoans?
- How will you ensure that all residents have equal access to services being provided through a public-private partnership?
- What is your relationship to privatization of prisons?
|Questions Regarding Specific Policies|
- What is your relationship to the Lakefront Protection Ordinance, and do you plan to uphold and support it if elected?
- What are your plans to improve access to the ability to safely manage hazardous waste & pollution in Chicago Neighborhoods?
- How do you plan to increase access to affordable, fresh foods in Chicago neighborhoods?
- What are your goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and by what date? What strategies do you plan to put in place to achieve this?
- What is your goal for the recycling diversion rate and by what date? What strategies do you plan to put in place to achieve this?
- Do you intend to introduce citywide composting services? If yes, what strategies do you plan to put in place to achieve this?
- What do you intend to do to support and source Clean Energy in Chicago?
- How do you plan to support and broaden participation in the Good Food Purchasing Policy?
- What is your position on property taxes v. progressive income tax?